Custom Designs and Orders E-mail sesamecrunch@gmail.com

Thursday, January 29, 2009

"The Bell Jar"





I am re-reading "The Bell Jar." Every night before I close my eyes. What is a Bell Jar? I will do a smidgen of research to come up with an intoxicating answer for you.









"The Hanging Man"






By the roots of my hair some god got hold of me.



I sizzled in his blue volts like a desert prophet.



The nights snapped out of sight like a lizard's eyelid:A world of bald white days in shadeless socket.




A vulturous boredom pinned me in a tree.If he were I,he would do what I did.




by: Sylvia Plath




"There is nothing a warm bath won't cure" S. Plath





“then something bent down and took hold of me and shook me like the end of the world. Whee-ee-ee-ee-ee, it shrilled, through an air crackling with blue light, and with each flash a great jolt drubbed me till I thought my bones would break and sap fly out of me like a split plant, I wondered what terrible thing I had done” (Plath 143). Plath’s purpose for relating to the reader this very vivid description is to show what a person with mental illness might experience during a session of electroshock therapy. It gives us good reason to believe that she herself has experienced electroshock therapy. The idea of electric current passing through human beings, in order to ease their pain, was conceived by a scientist. The scientist witnessed that pigs that were electrocuted while being slaughtered (cutting their throats) suffered less than those that were not electrocuted. This is an idea that is cruel and appalling. Plath’s descriptive session of electroshock therapy is her way of creating awareness of the cruel procedures used on mentally ill patients.



Identity in "The Bell Jar" essay [ ]Research Paper
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - by Lauren [lavacaloca]





Both The Bell Jar and The Yellow Wallpaper focus largely on psychiatric treatment Compare the ways..I really found "The Yellow Wallpaper"appealing! Ha Ha get it!

The Bell Jar has a double perspective. The view from with in and the view from outside the jar. This is the intriguing aspect of its symbolism. The bell jar can also be viewed as a spacial element. The bell jar is a space with little air to breath. It is essentially a clear cage from which one can see out. When the perspective is from the inside looking out one sees they can never touch or be apart of the action on the outside. An object put under glass for the viewing pleasure of all who stand outside.




























No comments:

Post a Comment